The 18-credit licensing program leads to a Wisconsin DPI license certification in ESL (WDPI 395). The program is designed for experienced teachers who wish to add this certification. All courses are 3-credits each and may be applied towards completion of the MA-Education-TESOL. All ESL License Sequence courses are available either online or in the classroom. Each online course begins with a single mandatory face-to-face orientation meeting. That meeting is held on a weeknight or Saturday at the Monroe Street Campus as designated by the professor.
- ED 605B Paradigms in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- ED 604A Language Acquisition in the Content Areas
- ED 686 Genre, Knowledge, and Pedagogy
- ED 605A Formal to Functional Linguistics
- ED 604F ESL Curriculum Design and Assessment
- ED 693A ESL Supervised Field Teaching
Completing the Master of Arts in Education degree will give you the skills and knowledge to become a leader of ESL Education in your school or district. The Master of Arts in Education: TESOL requires completion of the 18 credits listed in the License Sequence, plus the 4 three-credit courses listed below, plus 3 additional degree related credits (course approved by advisor). 33 credits total.
- ED 605C ESL/Bilingual Program Development and Advocacy (Ethics requirement)
- ED 689 Coaching, Mentoring and Teacher Leadership
- ED 603 Introduction to Education Research
- ED 692 Research Capstone Project (Studies in Change requirement)